The Sensor Web community has published a beta release of the 52°North reference implementation of the OGC SOS 2.0 standard, the new 52°North SOS 4.0.0. It is a completely new implementation of the 52°North SOS with some improvements compared to the 3.5 SOS development line.
Some of the improvments are:
- New and more efficient database model (not combatible with the previous SOS version)
- Core support to Hibernate framework for database handling
- Simpler installation and configuration via a GUI
- Administration GUI (clear database, add and remove test data)
- Mechanism to add new Encodings easily without changing the core sources
- New test client
There are further improvments planned which will be integrated in the next releases.
The implementation of the 52°North SOS has been performed in the context of the OWS-9 CITE compliancy testing, and the European projects EO2HEAVEN and GEOWOW. It has been developed in parallel to the CTL (compliance test language) scripts of the SOS 2.0 conformance classes used by the OGC TEAM (Test, Evaluation, And Measurement) engine.
A downloadable zip archive of the release is available in the download area of the 52°North homepage. This zip archive contains the sources as well as the binaries. The requirements for the release and some information how to install and configure the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 Beta1 are documented in the 52°North wiki.
On our demonstation web server you can find an instance of the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 Beta1 release.
The new test client provides some example requests which can be selected and executed.