After two years of hard work, the Sensor Web community is pleased to announce the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 Final Release ! This release benefits from experience gained over the past few years and implements improvements and features requested by SOS operators and users.
SOS 4.0.0 development Timeline
Beginning of 2012: Analysis of the previous 52°North SOS versions and the upcoming OGC SOS 2.0 standard requirements
Spring 2012: Development of a new database model based on analysis
Summer 2012: Implementation start
December 2012: Publication of the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 Beta1 version
Mai 2013: Publication of the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 Beta2 version
October 2013: Publication of the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 RC1 version
March 2014: Publication of the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 Final Release
Core Features and Improvements
The following additional features (NEW) and improvements have been implemented in this final release.
- Updated sensor description enrichment to comply with the SensorML Discovery Profile (OGC 09-163r2)
- GML-Encoder TimePosition: set “unknown” as IndeterminateValue if time and indeterminate value are not set in SOS object instead of 0000-01-01… time stamp
- Added description column to observation table
- ! UPDATE of database model is required ! see file update_obs_add_description.sql in [SOS]\misc\db\[DBMS]
- MySQL support (NEW)
- Updated database model during installation process if needed (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)
- Improved database concept: series observation concept as a performance boost (NEW)
- allows very fast responses to requests for the first/last value of a time series
- observation table now contains a seriesId column and references to the new series table.
- This concept is now the default database concept. The old observation concept is still supported and can be activated during the installation by checking “Old observation concept”.
- FeatureOfInterest, procedure and observableProperty were moved from observation table to series table
- DaoFactory for Hibernate DAOs: automatically returns observation DAO for old concept or series concept
- Convert SQL scripts for PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle are available
- SQL scripts for PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle (NEW)
- create database model (old and series concept)
- clear tables (old and series concept)
- drop database model (old and series concept)
- Enhanced SOS Administrator (NEW)
- Renaming of observed properties/phenomena
- Beta: Static Capabilities incl. online editor and validator
- Beta: Capabilities Extensions incl. online editor and validator
- Beta: Offering Extensions incl. online editor and validator
- Improved chache loading
With this release, we moved the 52°North SOS 4.0.0 sources from the SVN to GitHub.
Thanks to …
… all contributing organizations
… all funding organizations and projects
… all contributors
- Eike Hinderk Jürrens (52°North),
- Christian Autermann (52°North),
- Alexander Kmoch (Germany) (Z_GIS, Universität Salzburg, Austria),
- Victor Gonzalez and Oscar Fonts (geomati.co, Spain),
- Carlos Giraldo (Instituto Tecnológico de Galicia (ITG), Spain)
- Christoph Stasch (Institute for Geoinformatics, Germany)
And special Thanks to Shane StClair (Axiom Consulting & Design, USA) for his great contributions and improvements to the SOS 4.0.0.
A downloadable zip archive of the release contains the sources, as well as the binaries. Release requirements, installation and configuration information are documented in the 52°North wiki.
A short outlook on future work: