I completed my external semester at 52°North on October 2, 2015. During this internship, my task was to gain experience in software development by developing a metadata editor for standarized sensor metadata. Please see my initial blog post for more information. I fulfilled this task by implementing an editor based on the smartEditor project and built a prototype which enables the editing of the metadata language SensorML. This prototype is called SmartSensorEditor. Currently, this editor supports several elements of the SensorML description language.more >
I am a student in the Master’s Program Geoinformatics at the University of Münster. The Master’s program requires an external semester to gain practical experience. It is possible to either work in a research project at the university or have an internship in a governmental or industry institution. I chose 52°North because I like the idea of creating open source software. Open Source software is more accessible than closed software, in that it is possible to further develop and extend the software, so more people can contribute to it and benefit from it.
During this semester, I will work on two different projects. One project deals with the implementation of an extension for a metadata editor to simplify the search for sensors. In the second part of the semester, I will work on the enviroCar project. The enviroCar project provides a platform to visualize and analyze car data and discover more about driving behavior. more >
The metadata community has taken two new software projects under its wing: GeoMetaFacet and GEO label Java.more >
The aim of the OpenSensorSearch project is to provide an implementation of a sensor discovery server with the high performance of a Solr back-end to give users results fast. In addition, we are working on harvesting mechanisms for OpenSensorSearch (OSS) to allow users and developers to write harvesters for their own sensor data sources.
In the previous blog post, we discussed the work done in the first few weeks related to the database back-end and how we used Apache Solr for indexing and fast searching. Today we present the work done in the second half of the project. It focussed on harvesting metadata from other sources and the user interface. I mainly discuss
- “harvest callback” technique,
- user interface implementation with Spring MVC and
- general technical details.